I delivered a talk today to NPS faculty summarizing what I learned and identifying 9 ways I plan to modify my course this fall (when I teach it again online). In summary, they are:
- Be more explicit about the details of in-class activities
- Grade all required activities to ensure students complete them
- Extend my presence as an instructor to the asynchronous (non-real time) aspects of the course by using any one of a number of tools
- Move discussion of assigned readings to discussion boards on online learning platform to free up class time for other learning activities
- Transform syllabus from being instructor-centered to learner-centered
- Consider publishing course in wiki-like format including different reading options
- Use emoticons to enhance teaching presence
- Provide more options for students to show (and not just talk about) their work
- Establish set groups for the entire course as "learning laboratories" for students.
Listen to a recording of my talk.