Individuals are invited to participate in a research study on public information officers (PIOs) and their role in emergency response communications. This research aims to identify challenges and assess opportunities in terms of how these professionals work with individuals and organizations outside their own during emergency response situations. I am completing this research in conjunction with my role as a Visiting Associate Professor at the Naval Postgraduate School, located in Monterey, California.
The research will solicit the participation of PIOs working for organizations in California whose responsibilities include emergency response communications. To this end,
- Participation is open to any PIOs who work in California, including (but not limited to) members of the California Association of Public Information Officers (CAPIO).
- To sign up to participate in the study, contact me by email or phone (831-656-3254 office; 415-517-5756 cell).
- Interviews will be conducted by phone at a mutually convenient time for the research and volunteer participant.
- It is expected that researcher interviews with PIOs will be 30 minutes to 1 hour long.
- Semi-structured interview questions will be posed to the PIO.
- These interview questions will be provided to participating PIOs in advance of scheduled interviews.
- The researcher will take notes during these interviews. Interviews will not be recorded.
- Participants will be given pseudonyms which will be used throughout the study to record and analyze data.
- Should the researcher choose to quote any of the participants in reporting the study results, he will share quotes and seek written approval from participants.
- There is no cost to participate in this research study.
Please note that your participation in this study is strictly voluntary. If you choose to participate you can change your mind at any time and withdraw from the study. You will not be penalized in any way or lose any benefits to which you would otherwise be entitled if you choose not to participate in this study or to withdraw.
If you have any questions or comments about this research, please contact me. My office phone number is 831-656-3254; cell is 415-517-5756. Questions about your rights as a research subject or any other concerns may be addressed to the Navy Postgraduate School IRB Chair, Dr. Larry Shattuck. His phone number is 831-656-2473.